Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (ANCA)-associated vasculitis (AAV) is a disease process characterised by necrosis and inflammatory damage to the blood vessels. In this interview, Prof Mårten Segelmark and Dr Onno Teng discuss the pathophysiology of these multifactorial diseases, treatment for which generally comprises immunosuppressive therapies and high dose glucocorticoids to help induce remission.
Latest articlesAll articles
Findings and Implications of the REVEAL-CKD Study Investigating the Global Prevalence of Undiagnosed Stage G3 Chronic Kidney Disease
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a progressive condition that can lead to kidney failure and the requirement for renal dialysis or transplantation. Early-stage CKD is often missed because the disorder is initially asymptomatic; hence, many patients with CKD already have symptomatic advanced disease (Stages G4–G5) at the time of diagnosis. This is an important issue because the drugs available for the treatment of CKD are most effective when given during the early stages of the disease (Stages G1–G3).
Update on New Antigens in the Pathogenesis of Membranous Nephropathy
Previously, membranous nephropathies were divided into primary and secondary categories when the exact mechanism or pathogenetic factor were unknown. Approximately 70% accounted for primary membranous nephropathies. The remaining 30% were called secondary because they developed due to well-known diseases such as autoimmune diseases, tumours, infections, or drug assumptions.