The 37th Annual European Association of Urology (EAU) Congress 2022 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where data from the CLEAR study, a Phase III randomised controlled trial evaluating lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab combination therapy against sunitinib as first-line treatment in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma, were presented.
The symposium was chaired by Axel Bex, The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, UK and included expert opinions from Tom Powles, Barts Cancer Institute, Queen Mary University, London, UK, Viktor Grünwald, University Hospital Essen, Germany, and Michael Staehler, University Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians, University of Munich, Germany.
Watch the full symposium below or read the review article HERE.
This promotional and educational symposium and hosting has been fully funded by Eisai Europe Ltd. The content is intended for healthcare professionals only, and the company products are discussed. MSD has no involvement in this initiative other than reviewing the scientific content for accuracy and compliance with regulations. Prescribing information is available on this link.
EMJ. Recent advances in the first-line management of advanced renal cell carcinoma: focus on the role of lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab combination treatment. 2022. Available at: https://emj.emg-health.com/urology/video/recent-advances-in-the-first-line-management-of-advanced-renal-cell-carcinoma-focus-on-the-role-of-lenvatinib-plus-pembrolizumab-combination-treatment. Last accessed: 16/09/2022.
Adverse events should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for the MHRA Yellow Card in the GooglePlay or Apple App Store, or Republic of Ireland: www.hpra.ie. Adverse events should also be reported to Eisai Ltd on +44 (0) 208 600 1400 or [email protected]
Job bag: GB-KLR-00088
DOP: October 2022
1. Motzer R et al. Lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab or everolimus for advanced renal cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med. 2021;384(14):1289-300.
2. Ljungberg B et al. European Association of Urology guidelines on renal cell carcinoma: the 2022 update. Eur Urol. 2022;S0302-2838(22):01676-1.
3. Powles T et al. ESMO Clinical Practice Guideline update on the use of immunotherapy in early stage and advanced renal cell carcinoma. Ann Oncol. 2021;32(12):1511-19.
4. Kudo M. Lenvatinib may drastically change the treatment landscape of hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Cancer. 2018;7(1):1-19.
5. Kim SY et al. Safety of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: real-world use of lenvatinib and sorafenib in Korea. Front Endocrinol. 2019;10:384.
6. Kisplyx® (lenvatinib). Summary of Product Characteristics. 2021. Available at: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/kisplyx-epar-product-information_en.pdf. Last accessed: 7 September 2022.
7. Keytruda® (pembrolizumab). Summary of Product Characteristics. 2022. Available at: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/documents/product-information/keytruda-epar-product-information_en.pdf. Last accessed: 7 September 2022.
8. Rassy E et al. Tyrosine kinase inhibitors and immunotherapy combinations in renal cell carcinoma. Ther Adv Med Oncol. 2020;12:1758835920907504.
9. Hack SP et al. Augmenting anticancer immunity through combined targeting of angiogenic and PD-1/PD-L1 pathways: challenges and opportunities. Front Immunol. 2020;11:598877.
10. Pardoll DM. The blockade of immune checkpoints in cancer immunotherapy. Nat Rev Cancer. 2012;12(4):252-64.
11. Tohyama O et al. Antitumor activity of lenvatinib (e7080): an angiogenesis inhibitor that targets multiple receptor tyrosine kinases in preclinical human thyroid cancer models. J Thyroid Res. 2014;638747.
12.Eisai Inc. Lenvatinib/everolimus or lenvatinib/pembrolizumab versus sunitinib alone as treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (CLEAR). NCT02811861. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02811861.
13. Choueiri TK et al. Phase III CLEAR trial in advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC): outcomes in subgroups and toxicity update. Poster 660P. ESMO Virtual Congress, 16-21 September, 2021.
14. Choueiri TK et al. A phase 3 trial of lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab versus sunitinib as a first-line treatment for patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma: overall survival follow-up analysis (CLEAR study). Poster E41. IKCS, 5-6 November, 2021.
15. Grünwald V et al. Analysis of the CLEAR study in patients (pts) with advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC): depth of response and efficacy for selected subgroups in the lenvatinib (LEN) + pembrolizumab (PEMBRO) and sunitinib (SUN) treatment arms. Abstract 4560. ASCO Virtual Annual Meeting, 4-8 June, 2021.
16. Motzer R et al. Characterization and management of adverse reactions in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma receiving lenvatinib + pembrolizumab (CLEAR study). Abstract CTR14. IKCS, 5-6 November, 2021.
17. Motzer R et al. Health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma treated with lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab or everolimus versus sunitinib (CLEAR): a randomised, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol. 2022;23(6):768-80.
18. Voss MH et al. Impact of subsequent therapies in patients (pts) with advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC) receiving lenvatinib plus pembrolizumab (LEN + PEMBRO) or sunitinib (SUN) in the CLEAR study. J Clin Oncol. 2022;40(Suppl 16):4514.